Thursday, October 8, 2009

A little help from my friends, please.

So it's been a few years (almost 7) since I had a baby. What exactly do you need before the baby comes? I'm sending Andrew shopping on Tuesday and so I need a list for him. Car seat/ Stroller, bottles, maybe some clothes. We're borrowing a cradle for now. I'm just trying to get essentials till I can make it out to the store. We have diapers and wipes. Bathtub?

Any thoughts are much needed. I have a feeling I'm forgetting things. I have writer's block every time I start to make a list. I tried looking up lists online, and the first item they said was to get plenty of rest. (That's almost impossible when you are connected to a machine at night. I'm surprised I haven't choked myself on accident. It's quite the scene.) Anyhow, reality set in and I'd love to hear you're thoughts. It's coming soon.

I'd also love to hear if you recommend any car seats or bottles, etc over another.

Thanks in advance.

9 comments:

runningfan said...

Receiving blankets. Hats and socks. Onesies. Diapers and wipes. A baby swing is essential at our house. Pacifiers? Baby monitor? I've heard good things about the Chicco line of car seats and strollers. I wouldn't recommend what I have. :) I wish I could go shopping for you!

Ice-Cold Goat's Milk said...

Forward that list on to me when you get it figured out! :)

girlygirl said...

You need a swaddleme baby wrap for sure (maybe 2) and some longsleeve onsies. Maybe I need to go shopping for you. :)

granny said...

Gahhhh...I wish I could go shopping with Andrew. I love to shop for babies. A bouncy chair is my suggestion. It is Angie's favorite mothering tool. And it helps right from the beginning.

Super Pi said...

Carseat is a must, the Chicco KeyFit is a really nice carseat, mostly because you can adjust the straps from the front, instead of reaching around the back to tighten or loosen them. Also, when looking for a carseat, try to get one that goes up to 30 lbs. Baby Hero is almost outgrown his carseat, and he should be in a infant seat until his first birthday. (He's 7.5 months old)

Long sleeve onesies, hats, socks, swaddling blankets, sleepers (we love them), diapers and baby wipes. I would also say, One outfit that's not a sleeper or a onesie, because it's fun to have one thing to dress him up in when you finally feel good enough to get up and about the house.

I'm pretty sure that's all you need for the first few weeks, until you feel well enough to go out and about. Once again, I echo everyone else. I would love to go shopping for you--it's so much fun to spend someone else's money. ;)

rachel said...

those are all great suggestions for the baby....for you-make sure, if you're nursing, you have some comfy sleepbras and breast pads. I love the Lansinoh ones, they're a littl more expensive but they work amazingly. Have lots of pads and some big granny undies...hope that's not too much detail! Good luck, you are soooo close! So exciting!

Unknown said...

Here's a link to a checklist:
http://babyproducts.about.com/od/preparingforbaby/a/basiclayette.htm

Most of all, remember that all a baby really needs (after diapers and some kind of food and clothing) is a good mom. And you've got that one covered.

Honestly, babies don't need a tenth of the "stuff" that's on the market today. Some of it might make your life more convenient and some of it might make it more complicated. Just think, for thousands of years babies relied on some cloths and their moms and they still made it to adulthood.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't stress. But if I think of any fabulous, MUST have item- I will email you.

Emmy Z. said...

I'm one of the few people who really can't help you with this one. Ha ha. I'm just glad that once I have a baby, I'll have 4 sisters-in-law who will all have fabulous advice for me.

Less than 10 days to go! Wahoo!

Tara said...

I love Avent bottles, everyone is using Chico ones right now. Maybe a Boppy for feeding time. You also need Vaseline if you are circumcising him-have to keep it lubed up for a couple day after so he won't stick to his diaper. Diaper rash cream...Ummm, swing maybe? Puts my kids right out! I have plenty of boy stuff if you need it!!! Also, even if you won;t nurse him, you will get engorged, so they have new ice packs that are shaped "like you" and they can be heated up or frozen for your enjoyment!!! I highly reccommend it!